On January 13th the city will be hosting a public open house to kick off the 6th Street Corridor master plan project. This will be the first of several such events throughout the course of the planning process.
6th Street Corridor – Project Summary
In December 2015 the City of Glenwood Springs contracted with studioINSITE, a Denver-based landscape architecture and urban design firm, to lead property owners, businesses and residents through an intensive master planning process to re-envision the 6th Street corridor.
StudioINSITE heads a design team that also includes -
· Winter & Company
· ALTA Planning + Design
· Boundaries Unlimited
· Esse Design
· The Land Studio
Over the next ten to twelve months this design team will work with city staff and the public to address –
· Bicycle & pedestrian needs
· Improvements to circulation networks for all users including designing wayfinding/directional signage
· Safety issues-lighting, policing, pedestrian crossings
· Parking concerns & needs
· Opportunities for public art in public places
· Park, landscaping & open space improvements
· Diversifying the mix of land uses, considering opportunities for increased density and for additional housing
· Opportunities for property redevelopment
· Identity & character concerns such as improving views to 6th Street from I-70; preserving historic buildings; maintaining authenticity in new building design
· Service needs such as trash collection, deliveries, and snow removal
· Visitor/tourist needs, perceptions and ease of access to area attractions
· Assessing adequacy of utilities to support new development
· Ways to implement the recommendations for 6th Street improvements
The Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association was named 2013 Chamber of the Year by ACCE!